This post contains affiliate links.
Last November our family took a dream trip to Disneyworld. It was just as magical as they say…except for the part where James and I had to keep up with 9 young people with varied levels of energy and interest. He and I were like ships in the night….I knew he was in the vicinity but we rarely saw each other.
So we decided that since we never do anything for our anniversaries or take romantic trips, we would go back together…just the two of us. And believe it or not, we have actually made plans and put down a deposit to go this spring!
I learned some things while we were there last time that will definitely help us have a great time this next trip and I thought I’d share some of my best tips with you!
1. Camelbak – I tend to get dehydrated very easily. And I am a little bit (OK a lot) picky about my water. I like bottled. No tap water. No drinking fountains. And I am ultimately lazy and don’t want to carry a water bottle around with me. So I got myself a Camelbak and I LOVED it! I would fill it with a few water bottles and some ice, then I had cold water for hours. PLUS it held my other needs…money, lip balm, tissues, etc.
2. Pockets! – Since I only wear skirts and dresses, I don’t often have pockets. But I found some great tops that have big pockets and MAN did I use them! It was so great to slip my sunglasses into my pocket when I needed to take them off and hold something for my kids. I came home with pockets full of smashed pennies.
3. Comfy shoes – according to my UP band, I walked an average of 17,000 steps a day. We were on.the.move! So I wore my OTZ Shoes every day and seriously, my feet never hurt at all. Whatever shoes you are comfortable in…WEAR THEM!
4. Smart Phone – well, I never go anywhere without it anyway, and of course we took all of our photos with it, but I was doubly glad to have it with me because the app, My Disney Experience, was a lifesaver! It kept up with our fast passes, dinner reservations, maps, wait times on rides, everything we needed!
5. Ziploc bags – speaking of phones, I kept a Ziploc Snack Bags in my pack to stick my phone in when we went on water rides. I never worried about it getting wet! And I carried a few extra that came in handy many times. Someone didn’t have their retainer case (although that probably won’t happen when it’s just James and I), leftover food from dinner, a kid wanted to keep something they found…over and over it was nifty to have a few small Ziplocs with me.
6. Dining Plan – no, seriously, I will never go there again without getting the dining plan! We had a fancy dinner reservation each day and ate places we would never have gotten into, much less been wiling to spend the money while we were there. We got a second, quick meal each day which was amazing and then one snack, which I mostly ate frozen lemonade and plan to eat lots more of it when we go back. It was so great for the kids because they had their meals on their Magic Bands and could just get food when they wanted without asking permission. Brilliant Disney. Brilliant.
7. No jewelry – Yes, I love my jewelry. But this is not the place to wear it; I only wore my UP Band (which I don’t think of as jewelry). I didn’t even wear a wedding ring. You really want to be as free of extras as possible, especially anything that would be upsetting to lose! Sure, carry a Ziploc bag, but leave the earrings at home.
8. Free time – on our last trip it was go-go-go from sunup to sundown. James and I, being old and all, plan to slow it down significantly. Yes, we may miss a ride or two but the slower pace will undoubtedly help us enjoy it more. You can’t see it all anyway, believe me. We tried.
9. Thieves Mints – I kept these in my pack and handed them out often, to whoever I was with (we were split up a lot). It not only kept our breath fresh, but the Thieves helped keep us from getting sick (seems like I heard something recently about people getting sick at Disney?). ;P
That’s my simple list of how I plan to make my future trip to Disney as magical (and easy) as I possibly can!
Do you have any Disney tips to share?
By the way, all of our Disney arrangements were made by my friend Amy at Polka Dots & Wishes and she was incredible! I didn’t hesitate to ask her to plan our next trip for James and I….if you reach out to her to plan your trip, be sure to tell her I sent you!