I can’t hide it. No matter what size I am, my thighs stay the same. Large and in charge.
Last week a sweet friend shyly whispered to me, “Can I ask you something delicate? While you were at Disney World, how did you keep your thighs from rubbing raw?”
Girl! Do I have some tips for you!!!
Years ago I got a heat rash where my thighs touch and it took me months to get that to go away. It was pain when I walked, pain when I sat, pain, pain, pain. And you can’t get rid of it easily because it gets irritated anytime you move.
There’s actually a name for it. Chub Rub.
After that nightmare I was determined to do anything I could to keep that from happening EVER AGAIN! If you are a big thigh girl, this list is for you!
1. SPANX. If there was ever a product that deserved a poem written in its honor….it would be Spanx. They cover what bike shorts would cover, but they don’t make you as hot on a warm summer day. Lots of big girls say they don’t like that they make you hot, but I have never had that problem. I love them! But you have to know a few things before you buy.
Here are my Spanx tips….
a. Get the RIGHT size! If you’re like me you might try to fit in a smaller size because that number on the label is depressing. Let it go! Get a size that really fits your body and I am telling you….you will thank me.
b. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, get the higher power version. Those are the kind that reach right up to your bra line and they might be great on smaller gals with flat tummies, but they are not a friend to the big girl. Nobody likes the feeling of their underwear s-l-o-w-l-y rolling down their midsection while they are out to dinner with friends. No thank you. You want the Power Panties (there’s a link above). They stop at the waist.
c. You can get an off brand called Assets Mid-Thigh Shapers. They are made by the same people who make Spanx and they are about half the price. Now, they don’t last as long and if you’re going for support in addition to thigh protection you are better off investing in the name brand. But if you’re like me and need some for every day, get a few of the off-brand pair too so you always have a backup (again, use the link above so you don’t get confused…there are a lot of styles!).
d. I tried one style called Assets Remarkable Results . This pair was still comfortable (but not as comfy as the Mid-Thigh Shaper and a bit pricier) and it….ahem….really brought out the best in my behind. I didn’t think “bootylishous” would look good on me, but it really made my skirts fall nicely. I definitely will wear these when I am dressing up!
2. Powder. When it gets hot, you can bet I carry powder or cornstarch in my purse. You want to be sure you use powder made for that area of your body. You don’t want any perfumes or toxic ingredients. Since powder tends to come in large containers, I pour some into a small, empty McCormick spice container and carry that in my purse, or when traveling. When I am really working to keep it away (like during extreme heat or activity) I will reapply the powder anytime I use the restroom. It instantly cools me off.
3. Stay clean. Let’s be real….the problem here is skin rubbing together with sweat. Sweat is salty and irritating. So you have to keep the rash prone area clean of that irritant. When I am home I use a damp rag to just wipe anywhere my skin rubs together. When I am out I like to grab a towel from the restroom dispenser and put a little water on it before going into the stall. Then I wipe off any sweaty places, and I have lots of them…not just my thighs. (sorry, TMI, but somebody needs to talk about it…it’s a real struggle!)
4. Jockey Skimmies Wicking Slipshort These have similar coverage as Spanx but they are very different. They don’t offer any support (which I want….I’m not into the jiggle in my walk). But they are cool and definitely do a nice job of protecting thigh rub. And they have colors, which is something Spanx doesn’t have, so if you want the look of a bike short instead of looking nude under your skirt, these are good. For only $20 I like them and will use mine when my Spanx are in the wash. You definitely want more than one option! And if you’re wearing jeans this might be a better option for you since the jeans already kind of hold everything nice and snug.
5. Natural Anti-chafe Balm Stick This stuff is kind of amazing. There are several brands on the market, but I like this one because it’s all natural. I don’t like using chemicals at all (you know about my essential oil obsession), but especially in delicate areas. This stuff doesn’t feel slimy or messy. It stays on for a long time and really helps with chafing. I always use it if I know I am going to do a lot of walking!
Those are my 5 TOP ways to avoid the dreaded thigh heat rash. If you’ve ever had this struggle then you know. You NEVER EVER want to go through that again.
If you are traveling or active you will want to have several of these on hand. Don’t go to Disney World or on a weekend camping/hiking trip with only one pair of Assets and a stick of balm. Prevention is the name of the game when it comes to this problem, so stock up and be prepared.
I hope this helps and let me know if you have a different tip! We big thigh gals have to stick together #nopunintended.
Be sure to follow me on Facebook for more tips and encouragement!