Finally, after a month we have the girls’ room finished! I’m not even really sure why it took so long. We got most of it done in a week, but the little details dragged us down. There are still a few things we want to do, but at this pace it will be a year before we are totally done so I’m just showing it to you. As is. No refunds.
This is what it looked like before:
That was before we moved Hope down into her own room. Then we started painting. And it looked like this:
While the girls painted, the boys and I built shelves.
And now…..this is what it looks like:
The biggest difference is, obviously, the back wall. After we painted it black, the girls spent 2 days painting the words. Their older sister Hope helped too. It seemed to take forever, but we all just LOVE it. They chose the words and I arranged them. The dramatic wall is exactly what this tiny room needed.
But it also desperately needed book storage. Before the makeover, books were stacked all along the walls. Now they’re all tucked onto shelves with room for more!
The little shelf that I built for Faith’s desk holds all of her craft supplies. It amazing what a difference it makes in storage.
She’s so adorable with all of her recycled containers and vintage boxes.
Look what she did to her chair…..this girl is full of style.
Patience has her own study/workspace on the other side of the room. We took a bunch of mismatched shelves and painted them all white and put them in the corner. She’s got it all organized.
We spent several months searching for bedding. We couldn’t find anything that would work with the colors we wanted that was in our price range (which was close to $0). Then one day I spotted a king sized quilt in the clearance section of Walmart. So I bought it and we cut it into 2 tops and added a skirt to each piece. That not only worked with our low budget, but it hides everything under their beds to they can use that space for storage also.
We all agreed that we would use a reddish-pinkish-teeny-bit-orangish as our one pop of color. After several trips to the hardware store for paint swatches we settled on a color. These are the old IKEA bedside tables that were up there already and we just painted them. Believe it or not, I found the headboards in someone’s trash! We cleaned them up, painted them with the same black paint we used on the back wall and they make such a big difference! Sing it with me, “FREE!”
The “peace” and “joy” pillows are new products in our shop. Cute, cute, cute.
We turned the dormers into closets, so each girl has a dresser & clothes rack in her “closet”. The curtain just covers half of the closet to give it a little privacy. I had 2 curtains, still in packages, in the storage building. I have no idea how old these curtains are or where I got them. But they were free so we made them work!
Patience used her empty closet wall to display her photographs and artwork.
These 2 girls worked really hard on making over their room. And I know they are loving having a fresh, clean space to live.
Thanks for keeping me on my toes and checking in with me about this room. I am so glad to have it finished!
Follow me on Facebook for bonus pictures!