Fixing up the outside of our home has never been our strong suit. I can make a room look beautiful, but put me outside and I am lost. You may as well ask me to pilot a shuttle to the moon. It’s that out of my comfort zone.
But we do have a house with a yard and some green stuff, so we occasionally have to repair things and figure out ways to make it look better.
Our backyard was the worst. The back of our house had this “Welcome back to 1971″ awning/overhang/ugly thing over the patio.
I have been complaining about that thing for 10 years and a few weeks ago James and the kids tore it down. Yippee!
It’s a good thing I have a big, strong husband around for these “man” jobs.
But then we had a new problem. The back of the house went from ugly to boring. Now what? I didn’t need another seating area, I can’t grow plants there (or anywhere for that matter), I can’t spend any money on it, I didn’t know what to do.
So I headed to my favorite local spot, the Habitat ReStore. I found some shutters for $1.50 each. Even though they were plastic and like 6 feet long I thought, “I can work with these.” $9 later I was on my way home with a part of a plan.
I cut down the shutters and painted them a charcoal color. Then just screwed them to the house. Easy breezy.
You don’t even notice that one of the windows is “shutterless.” We tried different configurations and this one looked the best.
But the door still needed to be dressed up. When I stepped back to try to figure out what to do with it, I realized for the first time that the steps aren’t centered under the door. How did I live here for 10 years without noticing that?
Now it’s going to bother me, so I decided to cover the steps with deck boards to even them out.
I wanted to add some of the charcoal color to the door, so I painted some 2x4s and just screwed them to the wall. It may not be traditional house trim, but it looks pretty good and it didn’t cost me anything.
Then, to give the back door a little more definition we painted some 4×4 posts (that we dug up a few weeks ago from the chicken yard) and mounted them between the roof and the new steps. I painted the steps with paint left from the newly painted front porch floor and now it looks 1000x better.
That door in one of 3 doors that leads into the house from the backyard. It goes into our utility room, so it isn’t the preferred door for guests. I thought it would be fun to add a sign to the door reminding us to use it only for utility purposes.
Now the back of our house looks much better. And the best part is I only spent $25 on the whole thing (not including paint, which I did buy but used on many other projects also).
I can’t believe the difference $25 and a few days can make!
Hey! Maybe I could pilot a shuttle into space.
Linking to: Transformation ThursdayPin It