It’s been a while since I updated you on all of the things going on in my brain and frankly the weight of thoughts gathering in there is beginning to affect me. Yesterday I stood staring at the washing machine and couldn’t figure out what I was doing there. Here are the 8 things on my mind today:
1. How did it get so hot all of a sudden? Yes, we have rounded the corner from lovely warm Texas days to sweltering, don’t-leave-any-Crayons-in-the-car heat. I hate it. I can’t breathe.
2. I need some new clothes. OK not really, but that thought does cross my mind at least once a day when I am trying to find something to wear. Don’t you ever wish you could just dump the whole lot and start over? Me too.
3. This Friday is our 26 anniversary. A few days ago James came sweetly to me and asked in his alluring voice, “Hey baby, what are you doing on Friday?” To which I replied, “Are you kidding?! I am sleeping! This past few weeks have been so exhausting and once my thing is over on Thursday I am going to sleep for 24 hours!” He looked a little dejected and said, “Well what about Friday night? Wanna go out with me?” “Oh no….I will be too tired. Sorry.” Then a few hours later I realized he was asking me out for our anniversary and I felt like an idiot. One point for James. Although I still have about 75,000 more points than he does if we’re adding up 26 years’ worth.
4. I love night swimming. I do it almost every night in the summer. After a long day and the kids are settled for the night I sneak out and slip into the pool. It’s so relaxing, the stars are gorgeous, the water cools me off. Heaven. Gina and I did it a couple of times this week and I think I have hooked her on it. Try it. You’ll love it.
5. I don’t run. Ever. I just thought you should know.
6. I sometimes wonder how often other people change their sheets. We have a lot of beds around here and changing sheets tends to get backlogged and then one day I realize it’s been over a month since we washed sheets. I think we’re at that place about now. Yuck. We’ll have to do that this weekend.
7. I am running out of lunch ideas. I don’t enjoy cooking or experimenting in the kitchen and sometimes when I go to make the weekly menu I lock up. Nothing comes to me. I have no idea what to have for lunch so it’s literally nachos-sandwiches-nachos-sandwiches-nachos….you get the picture. Around 11:0AM a kid will ask me, “What’s for lunch?” and I will ask in return, “What did you have yesterday?” “We had sandwiches.” “OK then…we’re having nachos.” I need some new, easy lunch ideas.
8. I way overslept this morning. I had plans to get up early and do some work before the house started its routine of people being everywhere and asking me questions. But then I opened my eyes and saw that it was already 8:14. How did that happen? Bummer.
That’s it. I feel better. I have missed this time we share together.