I am so in love with this clock I made. It was really a simple project and it makes me so happy every time I look at it.
I have moved it all over the place and it’s one of those things that looks good everywhere. Don’t you love those things? If I am fixing up a spot anywhere in the house I can just say, “That clock will look perfect here.”
I got the frame thingy at the flea market last month. I had so many ideas for ways to use it, but when this clock idea hit on the way home….I knew it was exactly what I would do. Don’t you love when an idea just fills every gap and space in your mind and you know it’s right?
In front of my workshop getting ready to start…
After I painted the whole thing white I cut out numbers/words with my true love, my Cricut and stuck them on.
I also put little dots for where the real numbers should be, in case anyone actually wants to know what time it is.
Then I painted over the whole thing in black and peeled off the vinyl letters. I love this technique. Sometimes you don’t want stuck on letters and this makes them look like you painted them on! But I am entirely too lazy to do that.
And here’s where the problems started. I drilled the hole in the center for the clock shaft. BUT I didn’t really measure carefully (or at all) and the wood was way too thick. So the shaft would stick out the front. Oh no!
So I called Jacob out of his cave and asked him if he could pull out his old woodworking tools and gauge out a place for the clock. He very sweetly did it for me.
He even smiled once. I am not sure if he meant to, but we caught it on camera.
I’m going to print the smiling picture. Then when I need him to do something else for me I can pull it out and flash it in front of him and say, “Look how happy you were when you helped me with the clock!”
Finally we were back in business.
I flipped the clock over and waxed the front with a dark wax. I have been waxing furniture since long before the chalk paint people came on the scene. I love the age that it adds.
Oh, and do you see the big strip around the hole that looks like it got messed up? Well that’s where Jacob hammered right through the front of the clock. I had to glue it back in place and set a big rock on it for an hour. Then I sanded and sanded until it was smooth enough to repaint. Yep, nothing ever goes as planned around here.
Then I just stapled twine to the back and it was finished….I need to make a few more because there are about 8 different places that I want to put it. Not to mention I have kind of a freak-ish thing about needing to know what time it is constantly.
It was fun to make. I only complain about the problems because if my family knew I was having fun they would have called me in to make dinner. But if they think I’m slaving away miserably they will make dinner for me.
And that’s it folks. It was a really easy project.
Follow me on Facebook!